Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Red Velvet--An Insult to all Good Cupcakes


Hello Loyal Readers,
Last week we took our highly sophisticated pallets to Red Velvet by Dupont Circle. I will have to admit that the experience started off on the wrong foot. Adrian and Ashley had dropped me off to get the cupcakes as there was no available parking. I walked into a completely empty store and stood at the counter for five minutes. Finally I yelled hello. I was greeted by the flush of toilet instantly followed by the appearance of an employee. Let me emphasize INSTANTLY. There was no swoosh of a sink turning on, no click of a soap dispenser, no rolling of paper towels. Unless his name is Marty McFly and he has a time machine I have a sinking suspicion that the employee did not wash his hands!! Anyway, the employee was courteous and served me four carefully chosen cupcakes (yes without gloves). I selected the black velvet, peanut butter cup, summertime, and Key West--shout out to Fla. The cupcakes where mediocre and did not compare to the quality that we have become accustomed to. That being said the Key West was the saving grace. The flavors where well blended and the Swiss white chocolate butter cream icing was awesome. We ranked that cupcake a 3.75. We ranked the cupcakes together at 2.75. Factoring in parking and poor sanitation, I think that Red Velvet Dupont Circle is a solid 2.25. In other words those cupcakes where an insult to all good cupcakes everywhere. Roscoe out.

No comments:

Post a Comment